Friday, June 7, 2013

Igniting an LED-containing Balloon

I purchased a few LED-light containing balloons last night at Wal-Mart to fill with hydrogen and explode.  The thought is that the LED light would make the balloon out of the ordinary, maybe producing a line like "Hmmm...this balloon seems to have a warning light in it..."  I turned on the light in one of the balloons (it was dimmer than I would have liked) and filled it with hydrogen gas.  Tonight after dark I set it off with a candle on my back porch - still shots from a movie are shown below.


The LED light was tossed a couple feet but otherwise seemed unharmed - I opened it up and put a piece of plastic between the batteries to try to reuse later.  The balloon explosion seemed to have a few more sparks than usual - not sure why.  I'm also not sure what a more intense hydrogen-oxygen explosion would do to the LED and the batteries.

No comments:

Post a Comment