Friday, December 12, 2014

Dust Can Explosion Gone Awry

Many websites have described the classic dust can explosion demonstration.  Essentially, a closed metal paint can is fitted with a device to blow a fine powder throughout its interior.  Lycopodium powder is often used as the powder, and a squeeze bulb is often used to blow the powder around.  The dispersed powder is ignited by a lit candle that is also in the paint can during the demonstration, and the combustion of the powder produces sufficient heat and pressure to blow the lid off the paint can.

I have not done this demonstration much, but it was a favorite of one of my colleagues, professor Max Taylor, who was a talented demonstrator at Bradley University.  When he passed away last month, I dug out his old dust can explosion demonstration.  I successfully blew the lid off the paint can, but one time when I did so, the lid went up with the flame outburst and then back down to seal on top of the can.  Instantly the can collapsed as the gases inside the can cooled and contracted.  Looks like Max Taylor left some big shoes to fill!  I have rebuilt the demonstration with a different paint can.  In the future I will work to make sure the lid is blown clear of the can.


No comments:

Post a Comment